Nana turned 90 this year - and it seemed like a perfect occasion to put together a memory quilt as a gift for her. Nana makes every grandchild a quilt when they are born (to remind you here is what she made for Bunny #1!). She is quite the dedicated sewer as well as a loving mother to four children, grand mother to 13 and great grandmother to an additional 21!!
Back at the beginning of this year I sent a letter to everyone in the family asking them to create a square that would be sewn together into a quilt to celebrate Nana's 90th birthday. Here is the form letter that I used in case you wanted to put together a similar project:
A Memory Quilt for Nana
In addition to all the heart felt things that are being planned for Nana's 90th birthday we thought it would be a nice idea to create a memory quilt for Nana. Nana over the years has made us all so many lovely things - lets make her a quilt packed with memories and love.
Memory quilts are quilts pieced together from squares depicting thoughts/mementos for a special loved one. They can be made from clothes, T-shirts, ties, direct printed photos - almost anything that might hold a special meaning.
If you would like to participate you will need to return any finished patch(es) or materials for the quilt BY
You will find in this package:
- a square of material 14 x 14". (There should be enough pieces of material for everyone in your family plus some spare.)
- Ziploc bag to protect your patch/material during return mailing
- an addressed envelope for returning your squares
You can decorate your patch in anyway you wish with what ever method you wish – here are some ideas:
NOTE: you do not have to fill all of the square provided
- write out your message with a permanent fabric marker, or perhaps penning a favorite quote or lyric that is meaningful to you and Nana
- embroider a message or image on the square
- use iron-on letters or pictures
- appliqué or patchwork your own patch
- fabric pens, paints or dye – used freehand, stenciled or stamped
- transfer photos/drawings with heat transfer paper or printable fabric sheets.
- buttons, beads, ribbon, lace
You do not have to fill the square provided - you do not have to use the provided square of fabric - you can:
- use any other fabric you might prefer
- return a piece of fabric/clothing that has meaning to you that you would like to be includedPlease feel free to be as imaginative as possible and take your square any direction you want. Thank you so much for your participation in this project.
Any questions please contact me @
It was such a fun project - I really enjoyed putting it all together.